This is a very uncertain time for everyone, not least for our Yr6 parents and pupils facing the prospect of the transfer procedure in Yr7.
In that respect, I want to provide reassurance that Moneyrea PS will continue to provide all necessary support to our families as they go through this process.
To that end:
1. I have decided that Miss Daly will take the Yr6 class into Yr7 until the transfer procedure is completed. This will ensure continuity in an uncertain time. Mrs Goudy and Mrs Richardson will take Yr6.
2. Miss Daly will continue to support our Yr6s through Google Classroom and online practice activities/materials.
3. Summer revision packs will be provided at the end of June.
4. Additional summer tests will be available to purchase at cost price.
5. We hope to provide two, weeklong revision classes for pupils going into Yr7. One at the end of July and one in the middle of August. Dates cannot be confirmed until the overall picture becomes clearer.
6. I am currently preparing an online presentation for parents to take you through the process.
7. AQE and the DE are looking at the feasibility of either holding the tests in November or moving them back. I am assured by the Minister, Peter Weir MLA and CEO of AQE, Dr Barr, that a decision is pending.
AQE is moving to an online application process this year.
9. AQE is making past tests and answers available free of charge online. Please do not go beyond 2011 as tests after this date will be set as practice papers in Yr7.
Also please note, at this stage, Yr6 children are NOT ready to sit past papers. They will not have covered the work. Setting them down to complete past papers would be counterproductive and may well destroy their confidence. My advice is only to use them as a teaching tool; work through sections together as examples. You may wish to try some over the summer.
Finally, of overriding importance in any given transfer process is the wellbeing of our pupils. Transfer brings with it higher than normal levels of stress and anxiety into your home; it is therefore of vital importance that now more than ever we build our children’s confidence and reduce their anxiety and provide stability and security. If we as adults can succeed in this task, we will have helped our children immeasurably.
I hope this is helpful, more info to follow soon.
And just a word of personal thanks to all our teachers and classroom assistants for the excellent online materials they continue to provide on the website during this lockdown and the little extras they share on Facebook to bring a smile into our homes. It’s good to laugh.
Take care x